The March For Our Lives movement is an excellent chance to promote your local Youth Caucus, give younger members a chance to take a leading role, and engage younger potential new members, who may not otherwise be exposed to Dems Abroad. We understand and appreciate that March for Our Lives is nonpartisan, but much like the Women's March and other events, there are still opportunities to encourage Americans to commit to staying engaged through Democrats Abroad and Vote From Abroad. We hope that you will take advantage of these opportunities, but please use your best judgement.
The following resources may be helpful for your activities:
1. By Monday, a global email will go encouraging members to find out if there is a local event to join and join the digital march. This will be similar to our vigil in the wake of Charlottesville. Consequently, please be sure you have added your event to the DA website before Monday, EVEN IF YOU HAVE POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK OR ELSEWHERE.
2. If your event is also posted on Facebook, we encourage you to add @DemsAbroad as a co-host so that it will appear on the events tab of the global Facebook page. Click here to learn how to do it.
3. You can also add your event to the March For Our Lives website (link).
4. Keep in mind the importance of youth presence and involvement for this movement. Ensure they are engaged and involved as integral leaders.
1. Review the guide to DA marches, demonstrations and vigils (link).
2. Connecting with students? These Study Abroad resources may help.
3. Read these suggestions on Adding Diversity to Your Events.
4. Check out our Chant and Sign Inspo.
5. Have sign-in and sign-up sheets to track interest and member activity.
6. The March For Our Lives organizers are very eager to use this as an opportunity to drive voter registration and ballot requests. Even while keeping the events themselves nonpartisan, be sure to ask every American you meet if they have requested a ballot this year. Even better: collect names to follow up with after or help them request a ballot on the spot.
1. Click here to access the press release draft/template
Download or select "make a copy" under the File menu to edit, and then revise text in red.
2. Report any coverage afterward using this template
Download or select "make a copy" under the File menu to edit, and then send to [email protected]. Please include any mention of DA , no matter how short, whether video, article or blog post, in any language.
3. Tips for Successful Media Pitches
A press release doesn't sell the story, it just gives the details the journalist needs, after they are inspired to read further. Encouraging the journalist to respond and engage is what you'll need to do within your pitch, most frequently done via email.
- Keep your email short - under 200 words - and get straight to the point.
- Address the recipient by their name.
- Every email should be unique and add a personal touch if possible. If you copy/paste an email, they will know it.
- Give a very brief intro into who you am and who your organization is.
- Give an emotional hook for the recipient to want more information.
- Explain how writing about the event will be mutually beneficial.
- Have a good understanding of what the recipient publishes to ensure that the content is completely relevant to them.
- Email subject should be short and encompass the content idea within it.
- Consider reaching out to journalists via social media first.
- Don't be afraid to follow up in email or other means. Some journalists will have their desk phone number and/or social media handles publicly available.
4. Talking Points
Democrats Abroad is the state Democratic party for overseas Americans. We represent the 6.7 million eligible voters overseas (out of 9 million total). That’s a bigger voting bloc than all but 12 US states. We have members in over 190 countries around the world, and 43 country committees. We provide our members with tools to help them stand up for democracy - through regularly published actions, events they can participate in, and a friendly community of like minded American citizens living abroad. Our primary focus is to get out the vote abroad and advocate for overseas American issues... More talking points about DA here: http://bit.ly/StandardDATPs
- Talking points on Common Sense Gun Reform and March For Our Lives events can be found here.
- Talking Points on issues 'in the news' can be found here.
5. Dems Abroad Statement
Democrats Abroad invites all members to join with us as we March for Our Lives. On March 24th we will rise in solidarity with US marches, and rally in cities and towns around the world. We will speak out for gun control and demand that Congress protect the youth of America, and enact gun legislation to end violence and mass shootings in our schools today. (posted to website, Feb 19)
Democrats Abroad strongly supports common sense gun legislation. We deplore Congress' unwillingness to enact legislation that would protect the people of America.
Julia Bryan, International Chair of Democrats Abroad, states: "Sensible gun legislation is the norm in nearly all other developed countries, where leaders are not beholden to organizations like the NRA to fund their next political campaign. In Japan, death by firearm is as uncommon as death by lightning strike. In the United States, gun fire is as likely to kill our friends and family as a car accident. To accept this reality as the inevitable fallout of protecting the second amendment is to deny the rights our country was founded on - that all people are created equal and are endowed with certain unalienable rights: Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." (posted to website Feb 20)
GLOBAL VIRTUAL EVENT
Especially for those members who cannot attend a live event, we will be conducting a virtual march, similar to our actions around Charlottesville in 2017. These details will be provided to all members by Monday March 19 and will then be updated here.
Discuss who will be posting on social media, and decide who will be leading social media and content creation (aka photography and video!). This can be tricky to do while you are also organizing an event without a plan in place ahead of time.
Sample scripts and posts to be provided by Monday, March 19
BEYOND THE MARCH
Click each image to view and download. Additional graphics to be added by Monday Mar 19.